About the architect
CHARLES F. DEAN—Sacramento County has good reason to be proud of its professional men, among whom is numbered Mr. Charles F. Dean, of the well-known firm of architects, Messrs. Dean & Dean, of Sacramento. He was born at Belton, Texas on February 1, 1884, and is now associated with his brother, James S., whose life story is given elsewhere in this work. As he began life with the best home advantages, it is not surprising that in his pursuit of one of the noblest and most honored of professions, he should do much to elevate the minds, and beautify the lives of others.
Charles F. Dean enjoyed both the ordinary grammar school and the high school courses of instruction, and then spent three years at the Agricultural and Mechanical College at Bryan, Texas, where he took a civil engineer’s course, with special work in drawing. The next two years he spent in San Antonio, Texas, and after that, seven years in Chicago, following his profession; and then in 1908, he came out to California, and entered the state service as chief designer of the state architect’s office—a position of peculiar responsibility and some opportunity, which he filled with eminent satisfaction until 1922, when he resigned.
Mr. Dean then joined his brother, and they have since expanded more and more as practical architects equipped to undertake very pretentious work, and being more and more encouraged by increasing demands for their services.
Public-spirited to a high degree, the Messrs. Dean & Dean have done what they could to improve the standards, in particular, of domestic architecture.
In 1913, Mr. Dean and Miss Alvina Laue, of Sacramento, were married at Sacramento, and Mrs. Dean has entered into her husband’s ambitions, and shared his social and intellectual life. Mr. Dean is a Republican.
Transcribed by Patricia Seabolt.
Source: Reed, G. Walter, History of Sacramento County, California With Biographical Sketches, Page 518. Historic Record Company, Los Angeles, CA. 1923.
With reference to Memorial Auditorium (built 1925-1927) Mr. Dean states: ”While brick is the predominating material, stone, plaster, and terra cotta have all been carefully worked into the design. . . after much careful study, it was decided to adopt a form of the Byzantine, as developed in northern Italy in the 5th and 6th centuries.” The result has been referred to as Byzantine, Italian Romanesque, Lombardic, and even Spanish. The best collective label for the building may be southern European, Early Renaissance revival.”
Dean and Dean built two other structures stylistically similar to Westminster: The Sutter Club and Memorial Auditorium.